By: Valentine Adese (JP),
Efforts by some allegedly defeated candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the just concluded Wards and Local Government Congresses, allegedly loyal to, Sen. (Gen) Jeremiah T. Usieni, in the chapter and across the 17 Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Plateau State, to stopped the newly elected Wards and LGs’ of the Party Executives in the State, from operating and performing their legitimate activities has suffered a great setback last week, as the Plateau State High Court, sitting in Jos, the state capital has refused to grant the Plaintiffs’ prayers for any interim injunction in the matter before the court.
The Plaintiffs, Hon. Ajik Afan and 8 others who have approached the State High Court by way of an Originating Summons, armed with a Motion exparte, dated, 8/5/2020, deposed to by one Dauda Danparime, supported with a 55 paragraph Affidavit and a written address, had prayed the court for the following:-
- An order of Interim Injunction, restraining the 16th, 17th and 18th defendants, by themselves, their privies, servants, assign and or any other person acting through them from embarking on any step in an attempt to conduct the PDP party State Congress in Plateau State, pending the determination of the Originating Summons.
- An Order of Interim Injunction, restraining the 1st-15th defendants from parading themselves as the newly inaugurated Local Government (LG) Executives (EXCOs). Pending the determination of the Origination Summons.
- An Order of Interim Injunction directing all parties in the suit to maintain status quo antebellum, pending the hearing and determination of the Originating Summons.
- An Order granting leave to the Plaintiffs/Applicants, to issue and endorse the Originating Summons and all other processes to serve on the 19th defendant outside the jurisdiction of the Court to wit; from Jos, Plateau State to Abuja (FCT).
- An Order granting leave to the Plaintiffs/Applicants, to serve the Originating Summons and all other Court processes and processes of this Court on the 1st to 15th defendants through substituted means, to wit; by pasting at the LG party secretariat, and the16st, 17th, and 18th defendants at the state party’s secretariat along, Yakubu Gowon Way Jos.
After hearing, A. G. Yirvoms (Esq) with S. D. Maren (Esq) for the Plaintiffs/Applicants, the Plateau State High Court, presided over by Hon. Justice, S, B, Gang, in its ruling delivered on the 28th of May, 2020, rejected and refused to grant the Plaintiff’s prayers 1, 2, and 3, but granted prayers, 4 and 5, concerning leave to serve outside jurisdiction and substituted means.
The Court has also adjourned hearing of the case to 30th day of June, 2020.
Reacting concerning the ruling, the Caretaker Committee led by Hon. Yakubu Chocho and a group in the chapter under the aegis of Concerned Plateau State PDP Youths have called for calm.