By: Valentine Adese (JP) and Eunice Maina,
The National and State House of Assembly Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Plateau State is currently in receipt of 21 Election Petitions challenging various elections conducted in 2019 by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Plateau state.
The Secretary of the Tribunal, Washington Ugwu, who disclosed this to REALITY this morning at his office within the Tribunal complex, at West of Mines Junction Jos, further classified the 21 petitions into, Four (4) Senatorial, Eight (8) House of Representatives and Nine (9) State House of Assembly Petitions.
He however, stated that the Tribunal is yet to receive any petition on the governorship election, while point out that the Tribunal is currently sitting outside Prehearing Session to determine some crucial Motions relating to the governorship election.
You would recall that REALITY had reported on Monday, that the Tribunal had granted leave and Order in favour of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state to inspect INEC materials used in the 2019 governorship election in the state.
You would recall that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its gubernatorial candidate in the just concluded Governorship election in Plateau State have secure a Tribunal Order and Leave, permitting them and their Counsel or other agents to inspect and make copies of all polling documents relating or pertaining to the 9th and 23rd March, 2019, Plateau State Governorship Elections in the custody of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The Order obtained by way of a Motion Ex-parte, No. 001/2019, signed by the Chairman of the Tribunal, Hon. Justice H. A. Saleeman and Hon. Justice L.G. Abdulkadir (Member), after hearing S. G. Odey (Esq), with S. Oyawole (Esq), A. Ekaimu (Esq), learned Counsel for the Applicants/Petitioners, also granted an Order directing INEC, being the 1st Respondent, to confirm in writing the unavailability and reason for the unavailability of any such electoral forms or other polling documents relating to the Governorship election for Plateau State which by Law are in their custody.
The Ex-parte Order, which granted the Applicants leave to file and move the Ex-parte Motion outside Pre-hearing Session, also directed INEC to comply forthwith, with the Order therein as made on Monday, 1st of April, 2019.
Documents granted by the Tribunal to be inspected and made copies of, are as follows:
- Form EC 1A (i) (Tendered Vote List).
- Form EC 17 (Oath/Affirmation of Neutrality).
- Form EC 25B (Electoral Material Receipt).
- Form EC 40A (Ballot Paper Account and Verification Statement).
- Form EC 40B (Statement of Invalid, Rejected and Cancelled Ballot Papers).
- Form EC 40C (Statement of Unused and Spoilt Ballot Papers).
- Form EC 40F (Tendered Ballot Statement).
- Form EC 60E (Notice of Result of poll Poster).
- Form EC 8A (Statement of Results of Poll from Polling Units).
- Form EC 8B (Summary of Results for Registration Areas).
- Form EC 8C (Summary of Results for Local Government Areas).
- Form EC 8D (Summary of Results for the State).
- Form EC 8E (Summary/Declaration of Resultss for Candidates).
- List of all serial numbers of Electoral Forms and Ballot Papers distribution and/or purportedly distributed to each of the polling units in Plateau State.
- Register voters used and /or purportedly used in each of the polling units in Plateau State.
- Certified true Copy of the data/information contained in the Card Readers used at all the polling units in the state with a Certificate duly subscribed giving the particulars of the Card Readers used at the election conducted into the office of the Governor of Plateau State on 9th March, 2019 and 23rd March 2019.
- Certified True Copies of all the Incidence Forms filled and/or used by voters in all the polling units in Plateau State and
- Any other relevant documents the Applicants may request for purpose of instituting and/or maintaining the Applicants Election Petition.
REALITY further gathered that there are more Motions being looked into by the Tribunal this morning with respect to the governorship election in order to assist parties wanting to file petitions.