By: Alfred Saiki and Eunice Maina,
History was made Tuesday, 5th February, 2019, as the Director General (DG) of the Industrial Training Fund (ITF) Sir, Joseph Ari, was able to broker and institute the long desired peace among Newspapers and Magazine Publishers in Plateau state.
The peace meet, which was at the instance of the DG, saw the emergence of a new interim leadership that would manage the affairs of the Publishers in Plateau State under the aegis of Plateau Publishers Association for the next three (3) months.
As a way forward to end the feud, anger, suspicions and bitter arguments between members of Plateau Independent Publisher Association (PIPA) and the Front-Line Publishers, the peace meeting so the collapse of both platforms and the emergence of Plateau Publishers Association (PPA).
To lead the Association in the interim under PPA, Mr. Joseph Adudu and Prince Valentine Adese (JP), have emerged as, Chairman and Secretary respectively.
Others are:- Pastor Tom Kubua: Publicity Secretary, Ms. Janet Taden, Treasurer and Mr. Labaran Mohammed as Financial Secretary .
Chief Amos Gizo is expected to play the role of an Adviser to the new EXCO.
Read the Press Release that came to the public after the resolutions were adopted by all present in the meeting below:-
Following the final dissolution and collective agreement of the different factions of all the Publishers (Newspaper/Magazine) in the state to form a new body, a five man interim EXCO has been constituted to run the affairs of the association cum conduct elections for the association (Plateau Publishers Association). In attendance were splinter factions and publishers of the defunct Plateau Independent Publishers Association PIPA, and the Plateau Publishers forum PPF.
The meeting that was at the instance of the Director General of the Industrial Training Fund, Sir, Joseph Ari, and witnessed by Chief Amos Gizo as adviser and a Director Public Affairs, ITF, resolved among other issues that:
- All factions by whatever name have henceforth ceased to exist and should not be accorded recognition by any organization or government.
- All publishers on the Plateau shall come under the name: Plateau Publishers Association.
- The interim EXCO shall have a time frame of 3 months to conduct elections for a new body.
- The meeting resolved to also have in submission all previous documents in possession by default splinter group to the interim Exco.
- Guideline for elections and the conduct of same shall be covered by the term of reference for the interim Exco.
The five-man Interim Committee members include:
- Mr. Joseph Adudu: Chairman
- Prince Valentine Adese: Secretary
- Pastor Tom Kubua: Publicity Secretary
- Ms. Janet Taden: Treasurer
- Mr. Labaran Mohammed: Financial Secretary
There was a unanimous applause, and gratitude to Sir Joseph Ari. The Director General of ITF and facilitator of the meeting by all those in attendance, including Chief Amos Gizo, a representative of Nigerian Union of Journalists, Ms. Ladi Emmanuel. Mr. Adudu, the interim Exco Chairman among others for the final resolution of the publishers protracted feud in the state.
Pastor Tom Kubua