By: Valentine Adese,

Many People including the Punch Correspondent in Plateau State, Friday Olokor have fallen victims of some aggressive Soldiers, who have been drafted to the state on a search and rescue operation of a missing Gen. Mohammed Idris Alkali (rtd).

A renowned Journalists in the state, Mr. Moses Gbande, has reported that Mr. Olokor, who came back last night after spending about 28 hours behind bars over the Jos missing Gen. Mohammed Idris Alkali (rtd), said they were 28 men and 9 women (37).

You would recall that the state government had imposed a dusk to dawn curfew in two local government areas in the state to quell, the recent hostility that engulfed the state capital Jos, owing to the deaths been recorded.

After 24 hours of imposing the curfew, a review of the situation by the state government, saw the need to review the curfew. The government press statement to media houses operating in the state stated that, it should be observed from 10.00pm to 6.00am.

From the report of Mr. Gbande, Mr. Friday lamented as follows after his release below:

“I went to buy food by 9:00pm on Saturday (Curfew starts by 10:00) at a popular ANNE BREEZE RESTAURANT.

“The waiters have not brought my food when soldiers in two lorry trucks (about 30 of them) swooped on the place, shot indiscriminately at sight and arrested every human being they sighted. Passersby were not spared.

“Even my identification that I’m a journalist didn’t help matters. 28 of us were kept in an uncompleted building and I had no access to my family, Editors and colleagues because they took our phones.

While two men in their mid-70s including a retired Chief Superintendent of Police, Chuwang Choji was picked alongside his son, Chollom, a serving Army General who was drinking with a young woman I will describe as an Eaglet beside him was spared.

“They also picked the waiters at another pub (drinking joint) called BIG DADDY.

“There in the dungeon, we saw over 30 persons, including a pregnant woman, who they described as ‘suspects” who will assist them getting the culprits behind the missing General.

“I’ve not experienced this in my 20 years in Journalism. We were kept in 3 Division of Nigerian Army in Rukuba Barracks, Jos and were interviewed more than 5 times by Military Police who kept us at constant watch. That’s where many of the “suspects” including the pregnant woman were being held,” he said.

The soldiers who carried out the raid were called SPECIAL SQUAD from Maiduguri, it was learnt.

It was further learnt that the troops were deployed by the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. General Yusuf to handle the Jos crises, especially the mystery over the missing General because of their skill in dealing with Boko Haram.

The raid was led by one Captain RABIU.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.