By: Valentine Adese,
The Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC), some Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) have been commended by Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and the Media in a session organized to evaluate the impacts of recent reforms initiated by PEBEC, 24 months after its establishment, aimed at creating an enabling business environment especially, for Small and Media scale Enterprises (SMEs).
The session powered by DFID-PERL, which held at the ground floor of the edifice housing the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) at Maitama Abuja, Nigeria, saw CSOs, appreciating the impacts of the recent reforms in the Nigerian Custom Service, the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), NAFDAC, and Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON).
One among the reforms in NAFDAC, NEPC, SON and FIRS include improvement in efficiency and transparency in doing business.
Other reforms in this category as disclosed during the session are that:
- The MDAs have updated their websites.
- The MDAs have reviewed their guidelines.
- There are close to 50% deductions in the cost of registration.
- Registration can now be done at that state level with zonal supervision or at home with laptops.
- Verifications and certifications of applications can no longer be delayed beyond 72 hours.
- Middle persons are now eliminated in the entire processes.
- The MDAs have now created synergy with the new reforms.
- There is now a feedback system with the email serving as a vehicle, as most MDAs have automated their processes.
- E-receipt, E-registration, E-filling, E-payment, E-stamp, now introduced with the reforms.